Shiloh's origins date back to 1950 when its predecessor, Shiloh Tool & Die Manufacturing Company, began to design and manufacture precision tools and dies. As an outgrowth of its precision tool and die expertise, Shiloh Tool & Die Manufacturing Company expanded into blanking and stamping operations in the early 1960's. In April 1993, Shiloh Industries, Inc. was organized as a Delaware corporation to serve as a holding company for its operating subsidiaries. In July 1993, the Company completed an initial public offering of its common stock. In November 1999, Shiloh acquired the automotive division of MTD Products Inc. The relationship between the two companies has remained strong as evidenced by a current majority stock ownership of Shiloh Industries by MTD Holdings Inc. (the parent company of MTD Products Inc.).
The vision of what Shiloh is today began with the purchase of a small machine shop for $2,500 by Mick Fanello and four of his friends in 1950. In the interest of business, the shop was moved to Mansfield, Ohio in the late 1950's. Due to increasing business from blanking and steel processing, Shiloh expanded its original operations to an 80 x 200 foot facility in 1964. In order to acquire steel processing capabilities, Shiloh began a partnership with Modern Tool & Die (MTD Products), which resulted in the creation of Valley City Steel. The addition of Valley City Steel along with the continued success of Shiloh Corporation resulted in several additional companies contacting Shiloh for steel processing and blanking services. One of those companies was General Motors, who wanted Shiloh to build a plant closer to Parma, Ohio. Along with support from MTD, Shiloh constructed Medina Blanking for that purpose. Shiloh then purchased Wellington Die to supply dies for the new business at Medina Blanking and Wellington Stamping was constructed to keep up with production of Engineered Products.
In order to support demand for cold-rolled steel storage and steel processing from Ford Motor Company, Shiloh built Liverpool Coil with the continued support of MTD. In another effort to continue steady growth while increasing the Company's financial stability, Shiloh became a publicly traded company in 1993. To grow customer relationships, a facility in Romulus (which has since closed) was constructed, Greenfield Die was purchased, and Canton Manufacturing was also built. After the addition of the Michigan locations, Shiloh also decided to expand its North American footprint by building Jefferson Blanking in Georgia. Shiloh further strengthened its relationship with MTD by purchasing the MTD Automotive division in 1999 and in return, MTD Products Inc. purchased an additional stake in Shiloh, making it a majority shareholder. Also in 1999, Shiloh opened Ohio Welded Blank and Shiloh de Mexico in order to better serve its North American blanking and Engineered Welded Blank customers. Shiloh further elevated the Company's stamping and assembly capabilities by purchasing AG Simpson's Dickson, Tennessee plant in 2000. With the construction of the Company's newest facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2011, Shiloh is charging forward and better positioning itself for tremendous future growth and value generation.
1950 – Company formed as Shiloh Tool & Die Manufacturing
1955 – Mansfield Manufacturing Division opened
1986 – Medina Blanking Division opened
1987 – Wellington Manufacturing Division opened
1990 – Liverpool Coil Processing Division opened
1993 – Initial Public Offering completed (“SHLO” on NASDAQ stock exchange)
1997 – Canton Manufacturing Division opened
1997 – Jefferson Manufacturing Division opened
1999 – Ohio Welded Blank Division opened
1999 – Shiloh de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. opened
1999 – MTD Automotive acquired
2000 – Dickson Manufacturing Division opened
2011 – Bowling Green Manufacturing Division opened
2012 – Shiloh Die Casting, Pleasant Prairie acquired